Blimey, how time flies! The last time we stuck a wet finger in the air to predict where we might be in the future was way back before we had even entered Bangladesh! A lot has happened since and now seems a good time to update our plan for the near and extended future. All timings are subject to change and all plans are, as usual, set in jelly!
- About another 12-14 days in Laos with 2 days off for good behaviour in Luang Prabang.
- From the Laos/Vietnam border to Hanoi – 12-14 days and 3 days off to explore. This should take us to about 15 July 19.
- Off to the coast to explore for about 5-6 days.
- Head south 1,800km to Ho Chi Min City – with days off this will take approx 24 days. And then with some days off in HCMC itself this will take us to mid-August.
- To the border with Cambodia will then take 4 days.
- From the border travel to Phnom Penh, with some time off to look around. 5 days.
- No other plans so far. We have another 9 days to explore Cambodia and will likely go to Angkor Wat. We should then cross the border into Thailand around 1 Sept 19.
- Spend 5 days cycling to Bangkok and spend 3 days there.
- Then it’s a straight cycle to Malaysia – 1,200km. We should be at the Malaysian border by about 27 Sept 19.
- We have a break planned for the middle of this part of our trip, and if we make up time we’ll have more days off.
- Our current plan is to transit along the east coast passed Kuala Dungan.
- Cut across country to Kuala Lumpur where we should arrive around 7-9 Oct 19.
- Cycle the south coast to Singapore.
- Spend between 3 and 5 days in Singapore.
- Prepare bikes and equipment for entry into Australia.
- Fly to Perth on either 17 or 19 Oct 19.
- Spend 3-4 days in Perth.
- Overall Route – Fremantle, Mandurah, Bunbury, Augusta, Albany, Esperance, Norseman, Fraser Range, Cocklebiddy, Nullabor, Poss Port Lincoln, Port Augusta, Adelaide, Warrnambool, Melbourne – 4,900km (ish!).
- The main journey should take between 60-65 days including days off.
- Spend 4-5 days in Melbourne
- Leave bikes in Melbourne and fly to Brisbane to see family for around 3-5 days.
- Arrive in Christchurch between 3-5 Jan 2020.
- Cycle to Dunedin to meet up with London friends – arriving around 10 Jan 2020.
- Meander our way all over New Zealand for the next 2.5 – 3 months. Final destination is Auckland, where we will take a flight back to the U.K. at the start of April 2020.