A rough plan for South-East Asia and Australasia ….which effectively is the remainder of our trip!
The following is a guesstimate of our route over the next year. As ever, it is set in jelly and likely to change on a day-to-day and month-to-month basis!
– Stay in Bangladesh until approximately 10 April ‘19 depending on when we get our Indian visas, which are being processed as I type (we hope!). Between getting the visas and leaving Bangladesh there may be time for us to visit Cox’s Bazaar to the south east.
– Transit through the states of Tripura and Mizoram in India to the border of Myanmar with a day off in Aizawl – taking us to approximately 22 April ‘19.
– Myanmar border to Mandalay – no breaks but we will take up to 3 days off in Mandalay, taking us to approximately 3 May ‘19.
– Mandalay to Thai border via Old Bagan with a few days off to see Mt Popa etc, which takes us to approximately 19 May ‘19.
– Northern Thailand, inc a visit to Chang Mai and then on to the Laos border crossing. 18 days, which takes us to approximately 6 Jun ‘19.
– Laos, no real plan yet except to include a trip to the capital Vientiane to do the tourist thing there as well as apply for visas for Vietnam. Maximum 21 days, which takes us upto approximately 27 Jun 19.
– Vietnam, no real plan yet except that we will cycle from Hanoi to Ho Chi Min City, probably along the coastal route. 48 days, which takes us upto approximately 14 Aug ‘19.
– Cambodia, no real plan yet except to include a visit to Phnom Penh. Up to 21 days in the country, which takes us to approximately 4 Sep ‘19.
– Southern Thailand. We plan to transit to and stay in Bangkok for a few days and have a short holiday somewhere along our route south to Malaysia (destination tbd). 28 days, which takes us to approximately 2 Oct 19.
– Malaysia, no real plan yet except to include a visit to Kuala Lumpur. 14 days, which takes us to approximately 16 Oct ‘19.
– Singapore. A short stop in Singapore to visit SK Lah – a fellow cyclist who has been a fantastic help to us on our Asian leg of the trip so far. Maximum 5 days, but probably less. During this time we will need to clean our bikes and equipment and pack for flight and entry into Australia. This will take us to approximately 21 Oct ‘19.
(Indonesia – unlikely to get there due to time constraints. We will save this for a future tour along with the Philippines and possibly a return to Japan.)
– Fly from Singapore to Perth approximately 21 Oct ‘19.
– Australia – Perth to Melbourne. 4,000km – 3 months (inc days off), which takes us to approximately mid Jan 2020. Possibility take a boat to Tasmania to cycle around the island – time dependent.
– New Zealand – fly Melbourne to Christchurch – 2.5 – 3 months. Mid Jan – end early/mid April 2020.